Thursday, July 29, 2010

Is Your World Spinning?


4:45am - alarm goes off in a delightful thought-blocking sort of screech at ascending levels of volume. Snooze.
4:51am - alarm goes off again
4:58am- and again. Why did I choose seven minutes? It should be thirty
5:o5 am- once more
5:12am - okay, just seven more minutes
5:19am - I guess there's really no reason to look too cute at work . . . seven more minutes
5:26am - If I don't get up now, I won't get up at all. Then I'll be fired.
5:28am - sit up, dart out of bed before it can pull me back into it's deceitfully comfortable and comforting arms of slumber
5:29am- hit the doorway on the way to the bathroom (one of these day's I'll remember it's there)
5:40am - changed, hair messily pulled back, dark circles covered (for the most part)smelling like perfume, peaches, and the faint aroma of pillow, earrings in, shoes on, out the door.
5:45-12:30pm- serving coffee (staring at each cup wistfully as it passes from my needy hands into the equally needy grasp of another. Darn the lack of time for a sit-down and a scone). At some point, I down a shot of espresso (or perhaps put a cup of coffee in the back, which I'll manage to sip a few times before the days over).
12:35pm- leave work, dreaming and longing for that beautiful nap before me
12:45pm- too hungry to sleep. I'll make a quick lunch and go to bed.
1:45pm - food gives you energy, dang it
2:00-6:00pm- Stupid nap-stealing busywork like; paying bills, calling old friends, cleaning, moving, figuring out a place to stay, etc.
6:00pm-dinner and various obligations to social groups/networks/individuals
9:00pm- I can finally sleep!
9:01pm- freaking second wind
9:01am-11:00pm- stare at ceiling, desperate for sleeping
11:00pm-12:00am- . . . I think this is sleeping.
12:00am-4:44am- okay, this is definitely sleeping.
4:45am- alarm.

Coffee is no stand in, nor is youth; self-induced insomnia will drive you mad. My friends, we must take back what is ours. We must take back the right to rest, to function, to think, to dream. We must take back nap time. Join me, together we'll restore sanity to our towns, our country, our world. Hey, if we all do it, whose gonna stop us?

Pillow please,
Amy

2 comments: